DAIRY OF THE HUNGERED: MAY 12, 2012 - DAY SEVENTEEN

May 12, 2012

       Leaving is an impossibility. My one attempt at escape was cut off before it even began. I packed my bag, and in the night I fled, only to find a dome now rested over my small town.
       It was glass, but too thick to see through. The military with a stealth and precision, they were known for had quarantined me unknowingly. I was trapped with the dead, the mutating dead.
       The military my father trusted, and yet stayed weary of, warned me of constantly, are constructing buildings around my dome. I fear this place in their newest science project; my town the test subject, and me the anomaly.
       My once peaceful existence has been destroyed, and now in its place is the endless racket of the military. Day and night they constantly build. The sky is bright with their stadium lights. They have invaded my world, and I still sneak around the borders evading them the best I am able.
       It seems my life is made up of extremes these days. I hunger for the silence that I hated and wished away just days before. I won't have that though.
       Instead, I have this constant cloud of fear overhanging me; a hunger that pains me with no hope of relief and; a million question that whirl through my mind. The one that goes through my mind the most, ever plaguing me is a simple four word sentence.
       What is going on?
       I have no answer for what is going on in my now doomed town of Silent Cove. The dome that cuts me off from the world, I am learning, is deadly.
       It traps the once tainted air, turning what smelled of death into something more putrid. The heat trapped in the dome only makes the smell worse as the hours pass. The bodies once only stunk but now they bubble.
       I can already see the rot advancing to a stage beyond what it would under normal circumstances. There is nothing normal about my town anymore though. Something is very wrong here.
        The bodies are moving now, disappearing. I know they are not up and walking around. They are as dead as they were hours before. The only explanation is the army is taking them for some reason unknown to me. I haven’t seen anyone coming into town; there is no sign of the military entering, but that isn’t a comfort.
       What would the army want with the bodies of my town anyway? But the bodies that are part of my town were more than just bodies. They were unique in one single way. They all died the same night from apparently nothing but breathing.
        I still can’t help but wonder why I am alive. How did I survive this disaster? Why did I survive when everyone, and everything I loved is dead? Anything that I once treasured, that I once held dear and took for granted is gone.
       They are nothing more then festering rancid corpse, and I miss the life they once held. I am alone here, and maybe the military discovering me wouldn’t be so bad.
       Until then though, until I am discovered, or I willingly give myself up I must wonder, how long can I survive here without detection and a dwindling food supply?
 
         Cethin Huarwar

Autumn Breeze

❝ Autumn Breeze is a bestselling LGBT+ author and current Radish Content Provider. She is also the winner of a 2015 Watty Award, a former Wattpad Star, with more than 70K followers on her combined Wattpad accounts @Autumn_Breeze and @HonestDying. She was featured in Cosmo in 2017 “My Lessons with the Sexy Dance Instructor," and she worked as a Freelance Writer for 20th Century Fox on, “A Cure for Wellness: Seeking A Cure.” ❞

1 comment:

  1. Don't give yourself over to the military. You can never trust those assholes. Stay hidden and stay safe. I wonder what happened to the town. I also wonder why Cethin is the only one that lived through whatever it was. The fact that he didn't die means that the military will be more interested in him then the dead bodies. All the more reasons to stay hidden. I can't wait to read what's going to happen next.

    ReplyDelete