DIARY OF THE HUNGERED: MAY 10, 2012 - DAY FIFTEEN

       Fifteen days have passed, slowly, quietly. The silence that now descends on my world is a hollow form of a wish I made ages ago. I always wanted peace from my family, my friends, this town. Just an ounce of silence, but now that the silence is so complete, surrounding me in death I hate it. I hate that in this silence, I hear more than I ever heard before. I see the memories of my childhood as a reel in my mind, and I see, hear things I never noticed in them. I find I am missing the loudness that used to make up my days. 
       My sisters endless banging on the piano that used to annoy me to no end is missed dearly, even our dog with its constant yapping has fallen silent. The constant noise from it was something I was sure would never cease, and yet it has. That dog is the one sound that penetrated my every memory, as long as I had lived, as far back as I could remember that stupid mutt has always been a source of constant clatter. I find I am lost in this silence, as much as I was lost in the sound. 
        You would assume there would be some kind of sound in this death silence. A dog barking, a bird chirping, the bugs buzzing, something non-human would have called out to the world. That wasn’t the case though, everything was silent. The dogs, birds, the bugs that once swarmed the pond were all dead, still, silent. It’s like the air is what killed them, like breathing was the hazard to everyone and everything’s health. Everyone but me.
         I lived in this silence for days not, my ears strained for any sound. When sound was heard, it should have been a blessed thing. When I heard it again after the absence of it for so long, it was a terrifying clatter. In the dead silence, I found in my town as I walked around looking for any sign of life even though I knew there was none, I heard a sound I knew oh so well.  The whomping of the rotors on the Chinook was a familiar sound from my childhood from years when my father piloted, and we lived on a base.  
        The sound of those choppers made me freeze in my tracks and look to the sky. Then I remembered my father's warnings. 
        Son, the military is a force for good, but everyone defines what’s good in a different way. 
        The remembrance of that warning had me ducking behind a building and trying to stay out of sight. The military was flying over my dead town, where all life but mine had ceased to exist. 
         I don’t care who you are, or how you define good. I knew this wasn’t one of those times you could define it as good. Something was wrong in my town of Silent Cove and the military was aware of it. That wasn’t good. 
          Maybe I should pack a bag, and start thinking about leaving. If the army is here, I can’t be, that much is clear.

           Cethin Huarwar
DAIRY OF THE HUNGERED: MAY 12, 2012 - DAY SEVENTEEN


Autumn Breeze

❝ Autumn Breeze is a bestselling LGBT+ author and current Radish Content Provider. She is also the winner of a 2015 Watty Award, a former Wattpad Star, with more than 70K followers on her combined Wattpad accounts @Autumn_Breeze and @HonestDying. She was featured in Cosmo in 2017 “My Lessons with the Sexy Dance Instructor," and she worked as a Freelance Writer for 20th Century Fox on, “A Cure for Wellness: Seeking A Cure.” ❞

4 comments:

  1. Everyone always want silence, but I bet it would be a bit maddening if we got it. When there is only silence around your left with nothing but your own thoughts. Then you start to realize how crazy you may or may not be. I think it was a smart move for him to hide. Never trust the government. That's my motto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why was this story taken off wattpad? I enjoyed it so much and was heart broken when I saw that it had been removed :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly I took it off because it didn't exactly fit in with the rest of my content. Maybe I will add it back so it can be read easier. It hasn't been on wattpad in years. I'm surprised anyone from there actually still remembers it.

      Delete
  3. I'm a big fan of the author A.muse and discovered your page through that account, and I really didn't like the story at the beginning to be honest, but there was something about it that kept me reading, and before I knew it I was hooked. I stopped keeping up witht the updates, but it was a story I never really stopped thinking and wondering about. I stopped reading on wattpad for a year or two, but when I started back up, I was near devastated to see the story was no longer available, so when I saw even these few chapters on your blog I was quite excited. I hope you keep posting them so I can continue rereading them.

    ReplyDelete