DIARY OF THE HUNGERED: APRIL 30, 2012 - DAY FIVE

         Everyone is dead. 
         Five long lonely days have passed. What I once thought was a cruel joke has now been seared into my mind as a nightmare; one I am trapped in with no hope of escape by the looks of it. Alone, here in my small wooden town, I am now sure that the sleeping will not wake. Everyone is dead, every man, woman, and child rest in their beds in eternal sleep. Everyone that is, but me. I am the last. 
       One young boy of barely fifteen is all that walks the streets of Silent Cove, and I am lost. I do not know what to do, or where to go. I fear before I find salvation I will find insanity. For now I cling to all that I have, and admittedly my sanity isn’t much comfort.
         Coming awake on the twenty-fifth of April I thought my family, my friends, my neighborhood, was playing a joke on me. A cruel one to be sure, but just a joke. As morning turned to afternoon than night, I had to come to grips with the cold hard truth. I was left here to fend for myself in my hometown. 
          I didn’t know what was going on; how I survived when nearly three thousand others had perished. I was cut off from everyone and everything. The rest of the world could have been in chaos, or it could have been going on the same way it always did. The world could have continued to move forward while my small existence rotted away.  I simply did not know, and the not knowing was scary; it was terrifying. Knowing though could be so much worse. 
           Being out here in the middle of a vast forest surrounded by caves could come in handy if the world is dead. Silent Cove a little unknown town filled with unknow people could now be one of the safest places on earth, and I at least counted myself lucky in that aspect. If the world was going to burn, if it was burning, then maybe it was a good thing that I was the last in this town. I could only hope I wasn’t the last in the world. 
        If I wasn’t the last in the world though, if the world was still normal, and carrying on like Silent Cove didn’t exist other questions came to the forefront. How long would it be before the outside world learned of me? How long till the military or people came here and discovered the mass grave that was now center stage of my home? How long till I ran out of things to eat, and places to hide? 
         How long could I survive if this was what my survival had now come down to? 

         Cethin Huarwar

Autumn Breeze

❝ Autumn Breeze is a bestselling LGBT+ author and current Radish Content Provider. She is also the winner of a 2015 Watty Award, a former Wattpad Star, with more than 70K followers on her combined Wattpad accounts @Autumn_Breeze and @HonestDying. She was featured in Cosmo in 2017 “My Lessons with the Sexy Dance Instructor," and she worked as a Freelance Writer for 20th Century Fox on, “A Cure for Wellness: Seeking A Cure.” ❞

1 comment:

  1. This is so interesting. I would probably be freaking out if I woke up one day and everyone was dead. I wonder what happened. I wonder if it's just his town that is going through this or everywhere. I'm sure it won't be long before BIG BROTHER comes and shut everything down. They are probably more deadly then whatever killed the town. I can't wait to see what's in store for Cethin next.

    ReplyDelete